Principals are granted a lead school-level role (account) for each school they serve in the PALS Online System. Principals or district administrators may choose to also assign a school-level role to school literacy coaches and reading specialists, special education coordinators, and ELL teachers so that they can view student data for their assigned school(s), analyze reports to determine trends and needs, make use of the instructional resources and cross-classroom grouping functions, and provide support for teachers who are administering PALS to improve literacy instruction.
Quick Start Guide for Principals and other School Roles
Step 1: Log in to your PALS Online account.
- Go to the PALS Online System home page at palsk8.com.
- Click here to see instructions for how to log in to your PALS Online account.
- Click here to see instructions for how to set or reset your password.
- Once you are logged in, you will see your School Home Page. Click around to see what’s there!
Step 2: Assign school roles to other PALS users.
- Principals are able to assign or remove a school role to others. Click here for instructions on how to manage PALS online accounts for school-level users and teachers.
- To deactivate or reactivate a PALS user account when staff changes happen, click here for instructions.
- If you are assigned to more than one school in your division, you may select the school you want to view from the drop-down menu in the upper left hand corner of your home page.
Step 3: Add student records to your school account (and set up classes if needed).
Note: Division administrators have access to the Student Data Upload function that can create multiple student records at once and simultaneously create teacher accounts and assign students to classes. Consult with your division administrator to plan whether classes will be initially set up using the SDU process or manually by school administrators.
Once teachers have a class assigned, even if it’s an empty class, (a) they will be able to log in, and (b) students can be assigned or moved to those classes by you using one of the following methods:
- Add or transfer individual records one at a time, or
- Use the Manage Students page to assign multiple existing student records to class lists at once.
ASSIGNING A CLASS TO A TEACHER
- To set up classes, first make sure each teacher has an account, and a class assigned for the current school year.
- Please refer to the “Creating and Managing PALS Online Accounts” instructions to know how to assign a class to an existing account, or how to create a new account and then assign a class to it.
Step 4: Communicate and share resources with teachers and support staff.
- Make sure to review and share this year’s recommended assessment calendar.
- We highly recommend sharing the Quick Start Guide for Teachers to help your teachers get started!
- Basic administration tutorials are available to anyone who has a PALS Online account. Look for the link on the left sidebar.
Premier users also have access to monthly webinars and the PALS Professional Development site. Your district administrator has the registration code needed to create an account on the PALS PD site. Visit the professional development page on the PALS Resource Center site to find instructions and monthly webinar topics.